[Fixed] Windows File Recovery Failed to Create Destination Folder
Ran into the question “Windows File Recovery failed to create destination folder”? Turn to this tutorial for practicable solutions or alternative tool!
"How do I fix failed to create a destination folder?"
Microsoft released a command-line application - the Windows File Recovery tool, in 2020. Many users were willing to have it downloaded on their PCs to recover lost files.
However, many users have encountered errors during the recovery process, and don't know how to use Windows File Recovery. One of the prominent errors is: Windows File Recovery failed to create the destination folder.
I have been trying to use window file recovery software, but every time I enter the command, it shows "Failed to create destination folder". Please help me to recover my files. I accidentally deleted a few of my p.hd research-related files.
- Question from Microsoft Community
Several users are bothered by the error "failed to create destination folder". This article will give several fixes to help you solve the question.
How to fix "Windows File Recovery failed to create destination folder"?
This error could be attributed to different reasons. The incorrect command syntax is the primary reason.
A wrong syntax will set barriers for the program to parse and execute the commands. You might meet the error: "Windows File Recovery there was an error parsing your command" if you entered the wrong command.
Fixes, including but not limited to correcting the command syntax, will be introduced in this part. Please choose one that suits your situation.
Fix 1. Check the storage space
When choosing a destination drive to store your recovered files, if there is not enough storage space on the destination drive, a folder cannot be created on the destination, and you may get this error.
Please check if the destination drive is running low on storage. If so, you may receive a Low Disk Space warning in Windows 10 or other systems.
You could try to free up some space by deleting some unimportant files.
But deleted files with caution, please. It is suggested to back up your drive before deleting it. You could create Disk Backup using professional backup software to avoid losing important data.
Fix 2. Use another destination to store
If you still meet the error "Windows File Recovery failed to create destination folder" after deleting some files, there may be something wrong with the destination drive.
Perhaps now you need to use another drive as a location to save your recovered files; an external drive is preferable.
Fix 3. Correct the command syntax
To recover deleted files in Windows 10 using Windows File Recovery, you are supposed to use the command:
winfr source-drive: destination-drive: [/mode] [/switches]
If you have used the wrong command, you won't be able to get files recovered successfully. So please check your command syntax. Here are some noteworthy points.
- Check if you have missed the colon when referring to a drive letter. For instance, you need to input "C:" but not "C" only.
- Check if you have forgotten the slash and backslash. "\" is used to surround the folder name; please put backslashes at both the front and end of the folder's name; "/" is used to launch a switch or mode.
- Pay attention to the space between the parameters.
- Check if you have quoted the correct folder name.
- If there are spaces in the file/folder name, use a pair of quotes to surround it. For example, you need to input commands like this: winfr D: E: /extensive /n "\Users\\photos and videos\travel pics.jpg"
How to restore deleted files easily and with the original format/filename/directory kept?
Compared to wasting your time googling how to use Windows File Recovery, what is "mode", and how to use "switches", relying on a better Windows data recovery tool to get back files will be much easier and faster.
Moreover, Windows File Recovery cannot promise a high recovery rate. It would be best to utilize reliable file recovery software to recover deleted or lost files on Windows computers.
Here we recommend MyRecover, an effective and trustworthy tool that can scan and detect deleted and missing data from HDD/SSD/USB flash drive/SD card, etc. Moreover, it possesses more amazing features.
- Easy. Require no expertise or data recovery experience.
- Convenient. Support deleted data recovery with its format, filename, path, and quality kept intact.
- Efficient. Restore more than 200 types of data, including photos, videos, documents, etc.
- Quick. Support data recovery while scanning. Search, and filter functions make data recovery faster.
- Compatible. Support Windows OS 11, 10, 8, 7 SP1, Server. Windows Server users can use it to recover data from Windows Server 2016, 2019, 2022, etc.
Download it to start Windows data rescue efficiently and eliminate the error: "Windows File Recovery failed to create destination folder".
Step 1. Run MyRecover > select a partition/drive to scan > Start Scan.
Step 2. It will automatically use Quick Scan and Deep Scan to locate and list all the deleted and missing files. You can input file names in the search bar or filter the files you want by size, time, and type.
Step 3. Select the files you need > click Recover x files to restore deleted or lost files from Windows 11/10/8/7.
Using MyRecover could save you time correcting command syntax, making it easier to restore deleted files in Windows 10 efficiently. Moreover, you could utilize this tool to recover permanently deleted files in Windows 10.
To fix the error "Windows File Recovery failed to create destination folder", several feasible solutions are given in detail.
What's more, an easy Windows File recovery alternative is introduced to get you out of this kind of dilemma in the future.
In case you may fall into the same dilemma, some other suggestions are attached here, too.
- When using commands, look over your syntax carefully.
- Before deleting anything, please make sure to create a backup to avoid data loss.
- Please avoid visiting malicious websites and use antivirus software to protect your data.
To back up your hard drive data, you could utilize AOMEI Backupper, a professional backup software. A bunch of unique features could smartly back up your data.