“Errors occurred when using Windows File Recovery, please help!”
Microsoft released a command-line application - Windows File Recovery tool in 2020. Many users were willing to have it downloaded on their PCs. But as a tool without an intuitive interface, many users have encountered errors.
I have been trying to use file window file recovery software, but every time I enter command it shows “Failed to create destination folder”. Please help me to recover my files. I accidentally deleted few of my p.hd research related files.
- Question from Microsoft Community
A number of users are being bothered by the error “Windows File Recovery failed to create destination folder”. Aimed at this question, some fixes will be covered in this article.
How to fix “Windows File Recovery failed to create destination folder”?
This error “Windows File Recovery failed to create destination folder” could be attributed to different reasons.
The incorrect command syntax is the major reason, fixes included but not limited to correcting the command syntax will be introduced in this part. Please choose one that suits your situation.
Fix 1. Check the storage space
When choosing a destination drive to store your recovered files, if there is not enough storage space on the destination drive, a folder could not be created on the destination, and then maybe you will get this error.
Please check if the destination drive is running low storage. If so, you could try to free up some space by deleting some unimportant files.
But deleted files with caution, please. It is suggested to back up your drive before deleting it.
Fix 2. Use another destination to store
If you still meet the error “Windows File Recovery failed to create destination folder” after deleting some files, then maybe there is something wrong with the destination drive.
Perhaps now you need to use another drive as a location to save your recovered files, an external drive is recommended.
Fix 3. Correct the command syntax
To recover deleted files in Windows 10 using Windows File Recovery, you are supposed to use the command:
winfr source-drive: destination-drive: [/mode] [/switches]
If you have used the wrong command, you won’t be able to get files recovered successfully. So please check your command syntax. Here are some noteworthy points.
- Check if you have missed the colon when referring to a drive letter. For instance, you need to input “C:”, but not “C” only.
- Check if you have forgotten the slash and backslash. “\” is used to surround the folder name, please put the backslash at both the front and the end of a folder’s name; “/” is used to launch a switch or mode.
- Pay attention to the space between the parameters.
- Check if you have quoted the correct folder name.
- If there are spaces in the file/folder name, use a pair of quotes to surround it. For example, you need to input commands like this: winfr D: E: /extensive /n “\Users\\photos and videos\travel pics.jpg”
If you need a more detailed tutorial or help on how to use Windows File Recovery, please get help here.
Fix 4. Use Windows File Recovery alternative – WinfrGUI
To tell the truth, winfr commands are somehow way too difficult for ordinary users, because Windows File Recovery, as a command-line app, is not designed for common users without IT expertise. In addition, it offers no intuitive user interface, which is not convenient.
Then for those users who are not gurus on computers, how to recover deleted files in Windows 10 easily? To save you from the error “Windows File Recovery failed to create destination folder”, a Free tool is ready to help you. WinfrGUI, a 100% free Windows File Recovery alternative, provides users with a simple interface, and user-friendly guides.
Now download WinfrGUI to enjoy an easy file recovery in Windows 10/11.
- WinfrGUI fully invokes Windows File Recovery's function. No 100% guarantee recovery rate.
- The same as Windows File Recovery, WinfrGUI only applies to Windows 10 and later.
- The partition to scan could not be the same as the location to save.
Step 1. Install and start WinfrGUI > select the partition where your files are deleted > choose a location to store the recovery folder.
Step 2. Choose a scanning mode > target the folder or file types if needed. Quick Scan only works for NTFS and scans your partition very quickly; while Deep Scan works for all file systems but lasts for a while.
Step 3. Click Start Recovery to get all deleted files back easily.
How to restore deleted files easily and with the original format/filename/directory kept?
Using Windows File Recovery may waste your time in googling what is "mode", and how to use "switches", moreover, using WinfrGUI cannot promise you a high recovery rate. Then why not choose a professional Windows data rescue utility? Here we will recommend AOMEI Data Recovery for Windows, an effective and trustworthy tool that can scan and detect deleted and missing data.
♦ AOMEI Data Recovery for Windows highlights ♦
- Support data recovery with its format, filename, and path kept intact.
- Restore more than 200 types of data.
- Support data recovery while scanning.
- Compatible with Windows OS 11, 10, 8, 7 SP1, Server.
Download it to start Windows data rescue easily and effectively.
Step 1. Run AOMEI Data Recovery for Windows > select a partition/drive to scan > Start Scan.
Step 2. It will automatically use Quick Scan and Deep Scan to locate and list all the deleted and missing files.
Step 3. Select the files you need > click Recover x files to restore deleted or lost files from Windows 11/10/8/7.
Using AOMEI Data Recovery for Windows could save your time correcting command syntax, making it easier to restore deleted files in Windows 10 efficiently. What's more, you could utilize this tool to recover permanently deleted files in Windows 10.
To fix the error “Windows File Recovery failed to create destination folder”, several feasible solutions are given in detail. What’s more, to get you out of this kind of dilemma in the future, a free easy Windows File recovery alternative is introduced.
Some other suggestions are attached here, too.
- When using commands, look over your syntax carefully.
- Before deleting anything, please make sure to create a backup to avoid data loss.
- Please avoid visiting malicious websites and use antivirus software to protect your data.
To back up your hard drive data, you could utilize AOMEI Backupper, a professional backup software. A bunch of amazing features could smartly back up your data.