How Does OneDrive Restore Previous Version?
How does OneDrive restore previous version is introduced to help you restore a file version/achieve a OneDrive rollback/recover deleted OneDrive files.
“How do I restore a previous version of OneDrive?”
Many Windows users are willing to use OneDrive as their cloud storage measure since it allows users to upload, keep, sync, and back up their essential files.
But, while using OneDrive, many users’ accounts are vulnerable and prone to issues like file loss/file corruption/virus attacks, etc.
Therefore, they are wondering if it is possible to restore previous version of OneDrive to bring everything back to normal after the OneDrive files missing issue.
OneDrive restored to yesterday possible?
I save my files to OneDrive and seem to have over-written an EXCEL file (or the last 30 days have been deleted). I have used the file multiple times recently, but in trying to view previous versions, the last month has disappeared.
- Question from Microsoft Community
Are you also suffering from data loss from OneDrive now? Are you wondering how to perform a OneDrive rollback or get deleted files back?
If OneDrive keeps the file versions, users can make it to get their data back. Is there?
Does OneDrive have file version history?
Windows machines have an inbuilt feature called File History, allowing users to restore previous versions of files/folders to retrieve overwritten/lost/deleted/damaged/corrupted files.
Luckily, there is a similar one in OneDrive. Version History in OneDrive facilitates users to convert a file to its earlier version.
However, the shortcoming is evident as well – users can only restore an earlier version of files but not folders. That is to say; the Version History is only able to recover overwritten files but not removed files. Why is it so?
How do I restore a previously deleted file?
As mentioned above, Version History is only available on files. If the files were removed, you would NOT be able to convert the upper/parent folder to an earlier state and indirectly get the deleted files back.
But don’t worry. Whether you want to retrieve overwritten, missing, or deleted OneDrive files, this tutorial can offer you help.
How does OneDrive restore previous version?
Check out this part for appropriate methods corresponding to different cases or situations.
Case 1. If you need to restore a previous version of a file
With the help of Version History, users can easily retrieve an overwritten file from OneDrive, similar to recovering accidentally saved over Word documents and other files on Windows machines.
This method only suits those who need to restore a few files.
Step 1. Launch OneDrive on the desktop > locate the target file > right-click on it > Version history.
Step 2. View the version history of the chosen file > choose one > click the menu button > Restore. Or, if you want to keep the current version as well, click Download.
This way, you can achieve the “OneDrive restore previous version” operation.
Case 2. If you want to perform a OneDrive rollback
Version History applies to those who get previous versions of a few files. If you have a large number of files affected, e.g., /overwritten/deleted/corrupted/attacked by viruses, then Version History is not suitable for you.
Given this, you could restore the whole OneDrive to an earlier date. This way, you can undo all the changes you made in OneDrive.
Microsoft 365 users can follow the steps to operate online.
- This feature is only available for Microsoft 365 users. If you are not using Microsoft 365, please move on to the following method.
- You can convert your OneDrive to the utmost 30 days ago.
Step 1. Sign in to your OneDrive account on the OneDrive website > click Settings > Options > Restore your OneDrive.
Step 2. Select the recent or a close date > click Restore.
A OneDrive rollback helps you undo all the operations on the files/folders, and successfully OneDrive restore previous version.
Case 3. If you want to recover deleted OneDrive files
You may have known that Version History cannot help you recover deleted OneDrive files; meanwhile, the restoring feature will affect the existing files – all files will be converted to a previous date, and users might lose hours of work progress.
In this case, finding other ways for users who want removed files back without influencing other files will be better.
Using a professional Windows data recovery tool will be a preferred option. Among many apps, MyRecover stands out for its unique features and advanced tech.
Using it, you can easily recover deleted and missing files from internal and external HDD, SSD, USB, SD card, etc.
MyRecover - perform an easy OneDrive file recovery
- User-friendly. The OneDrive file recovery process will be easy with a simple and well-designed user interface.
- High-efficiency. 200+ recoverable data types, including jpg/png/mov/avi/wav/doc/xlsx/ppt/pdf/rar/zip, etc.
- All-inclusive. It applies to multiple data loss situations, e.g., deletion/formatting/Recycle Bin emptying/system crash/virus, etc.
- Highly-compatible. It is available on Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, and Server; NTFS, FAT32, exFAT, ReFS, etc.
Check out the detailed steps to restore files from OneDrive after deletion/permanent deletion in a breeze.
- It will be a better bet to save the recovered files in another place than the original location; otherwise, data overwriting will damage the data and decrease the data recovery rate.
- While scanning, you can directly choose files to restore without waiting for the complete scanning result.
- This app automatically scans the chosen hard drive using Quick Scan & Deep Scan methods, in which the former targets deleted files and the latter aims at missing files.
Step 1. Install and run MyRecover > choose the affected drive (where the OneDrive files were removed from) > Start Scan.
Step 2. Filenames and extensions can help you target the files faster, if you can recall. Sort the detected files by Date modified, Type, Size, Path, etc.
Step 3. Go to Deleted files/Recycle Bin > go to the original location of the Onedrive folder > choose the needed files/folders > click Recover x files.
This powerful tool not only facilitates you to recover deleted OneDrive files, but it can also help you when Dropbox deleting files automatically.
OneDrive users who wonder, “How does OneDrive restore previous version?” could refer to this tutorial and get help.
You can get detailed info in this post if you need to get back an earlier version of a specific file, restore the whole OneDrive, or restore files from OneDrive after deletion.
In addition, for better data management and protection, some suggestions are ready for you.
- Update Onedrive regularly to keep away from errors.
- Set up OneDrive daily backup to protect your files.
- Please do not back up your important files only on OneDrive.
- Save more than 1 copy of your files and keep them in different places.
- Please do not manually clean the recycle bin of OneDrive and your Windows PC.
- Stay away from suspicious websites, emails, and apps.
- Use antivirus to guard against viruses and malware.