How to Backup Plex Server on Windows Server [Complete Guide]
Looking to safeguard your Plex server on Windows? Discover the essential steps for creating backups to ensure your media library remains protected. Keep your media collection secure and easily restorable with these tips.
Overview of Plex Media Server Backup
Plex Media Server functions as a media management system that enables users to catalog, organize, and access multimedia content from a variety of devices. It indexes media libraries, retrieves metadata, and streams content to different platforms, and users can access their media libraries remotely.
The need for backing up a Plex Media Server stems from the critical importance of preserving extensive media libraries, user configurations, and metadata.
Here are key reasons for needing a Plex Server backup:
- Preservation of Media Libraries
- Protection of User Settings and Customizations
- Safeguarding Metadata and Server Configurations
- Ensuring Uninterrupted Access to Media
Next, we'll explain how to back up Plex Media data on Windows in detail.
How to Backup Plex Server in Windows
Backing up you Plex server in Windows requires backing up two locations:
- The Plex settings in the Windows registry.
- The files and folders in the data directory.
Backing up the Plex Settings in Windows
Plex Media Server's configurations are stored within the Windows Registry. These settings are specifically stored in registry keys under the user's registry settings who is running the Plex process in Windows.
There are two methods to back up these registry settings: utilizing a registry editor or employing the command line.
💡 Method 1. Using Windows Registry Editor
1. Open the Windows Run dialog by pressing "Win + R" on your keyboard. Type "regedit.exe" and press Enter to open the Windows Registry Editor.
2. Navigate to the Plex settings in the Windows registry. It can typically be found in:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Plex, Inc.\Plex Media Server
3. Right-click on the "Plex Media Server" folder in the registry. Select "Export" from the context menu.
4. Choose a location to save the registry backup file, name the file, and select "Save."
The exported file will contain the Plex Media Server settings from the registry. Ensure to store this file in a safe location, as it serves as a backup of the Plex settings in the Windows registry.
💡 Method 2. Using Command Prompt
1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator. Right-click on the Start button, select "Windows PowerShell (Admin)" or "Command Prompt (Admin)."
2. Enter the following command to export the Plex registry settings to a .reg file:
reg export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Plex, Inc.\Plex Media Server C:\Path\To\Save\Backup\Plex_Settings_Backup.reg
* Replace "C:\Path\To\Save\Backup\Plex_Settings_Backup.reg" with the desired file path and name for the backup file.
3. Press Enter, and the command prompt will export the Plex registry settings to the specified location in the .reg file.
Both methods allow for the backup of Plex settings stored in the Windows registry.
Backing up the Plex Data Directory
The data directory for Plex typically contains important metadata, such as your library information, watched statuses, and other settings. Here's a guide on how to back up the Plex data directory in Windows:
1. The Plex data directory is commonly found in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Plex Media Server or C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server.
2. Open Windows Explorer, and then navigate to the Plex data directory.
3. Right-click and choose "Copy" to back up all the folders in the data directory to your backup destination (external drive, cloud storage, another folder on your PC).
Best Backup Practices for Windows Servers
AOMEI Cyber Backup stands as a reliable Windows Server backup solution, offering a centralized approach to data backup for Windows Servers. Its suite of features provides an efficient and secure method for safeguarding crucial data, making it an indispensable tool in the realm of server management.
🔰 Easy to Use: AOMEI Cyber Backup has a user-friendly interface, making it simple for beginners and experts to use without much difficulty.
✍ Secure Data Protection: This software ensures reliable protection for server data, safeguarding it against system failures, data corruption, or accidental deletion.
⏰ Scheduled Backups: Users can schedule automatic backups, reducing the chance of errors and ensuring regular, consistent backups without manual intervention.
Please install the AOMEI Cyber Backup Agent on your target device before creating a Windows server backup.
Steps to Backup Windows Servers from a Central Console
1. Navigate to Source Device to add Windows Device, then fill in the correct IP address and user information.
2. Go to Backup Task > Create New Task > Disk Backup.
3. Choose disks and a destination to save the backup.
5. (Optional) Schedule backup method as full / incremental / differential backup and run the backup tasks at daily / weekly / monthly.
6. (Optional) Set up retention policy and email notification for the backup task.
7. Click Start Backup to protect your Windows Server data.
Securing Plex servers on Windows is critical. This article describes implementing a reliable backup solution to ensure the security of media files and server data. Choosing a reliable backup tool like AOMEI Cyber Backup gives you seamless, comprehensive protection for your Windows Server. Invest in the right backup strategy today and maintain the integrity of your data.