How to Recover Deleted RW2 Files
If you are experiencing RW2 file deletion, continue to read this article and get two effective methods to recover deleted RW2 files. Prevention measures are also included.
What Are RW2 Files?
Like other major camera manufacturers, Panasonic has developed its own Raw image file format, RW2. These files usually contain minimally processed data exactly as it was in the camera sensor, ensuring superior image quality and great flexibility.
The photographer has more control during post-processing, for example, to completely change the appearance of the image. At the same time, this means your RW2 files can be larger in size compared to JPEG images.
Common Reasons for RW2 File Deletion
RW2 files are also subject to data loss and there are many reasons behind it. Below are some common reasons:
- Accidental Deletion, such as click the Delete All option on the Panasonic camera, or delete picture when it’s connected to a Windows PC.
- Formatting memory card without backup image.
- Virus or malware attack the Panasonic card. Or you connect it to a virus-infected PC.
- Insert your camera into an incompatible device.
- Improper operations: Forcefully eject your card while transferring pictures; Use the same card on different systems; Use a memory card when the battery is low.
Stepwise Guide to Recover Deleted RW2 Files
Due to the complexity of Raw images, standard file recovery methods may not always work.And the success rate decreases over time. So we suggest you to try data recovery method with the highest success rate first. Here are two great choices:
- 1️⃣ Recover deleted RW2 photo from backup. It includes all the backed up RW2 files and allow you to get them back from a saved copy. It minimizes data loss, depending on whether your backup is up-to-date or not.
- 2️⃣ Get deleted RW2 files back using reliable software. If you don’t have a backup copy available, the only way is to scan your card and search for deleted RW2 files using a reliable data recovery software.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please stop using your memory card or Panasonic camera immediately after you realize any data loss. Continue using them may overwrite deleted RW2 photo and make data recovery more difficult.
Method 1: Recover Deleted RW2 Photo from Backup
If you've been diligent about backups, recovering deleted RW2 files becomes much easier. In Windows systems, you can use the File History feature to backup RW2 files automatically. Remember to transfer them to local disk before backing up. Here’s how to restore
Step 1. Type file history in the search box and select Restore your files with file history.
Step 2. In the Control Panel, check if File History is on and select Restore personal files.
Step 3. Browse the most recent backup for deleted RW2 files. Then, select it and click Restore to get deleted RW2 files back.
Method 2: Employ RW2 File Recovery Software
In situations where you lack a backup, specialized data recovery software comes to the rescue. Programs like MyRecover can scan your storage device for traces of deleted RW2 files and attempt to recover them.
- Filter and recover deleted RW2 files quickly without losing quality. You can also preview them before processing.
- Support a wide range of memory cards, including standard SD card, SDXC, SDHC, MicroSD, xD-Picture, CF, CFast, MMC, etc.
- Compatible with different memory card brands, such as SanDisk, Samsung, Kingston, Sony, Transcend, Lexar, Olympus, etc.
- Support different RAW image formats, such as RW2, CR2, CRW, NEF, RAF, PEF, SR2, ORF, RW2, K25, X35, MEF, etc.
- Retrieve files in any scenario, such as accidental deletion, formatting, virus infection, etc.
In addition, the software does not require technical expertise and is friendly to novices, making the recovery process seamless.
Steps to recover deleted RW2 files
The restore button will display the number of selected files and their full size. You can use it to determine the integrity of the recovered files.
You can recover deleted RW2 for free, up to 30MB. Once exceeded, please upgrade to the advanced editions.
In addition, you still can use this software to recover different file types, such as recover deleted X3F, 3FR, WMV, DBF, ASPX, LAB, etc.
For severe cases of RW2 file loss, especially for physical damage, seeking professional data recovery services, such as CBL, Ontrack, Geek Squad, etc. might be your best choice. Experts can disassemble the device and retrieve data directly from the storage device.
How to Open RW2 File on a Windows PC
Windows does not come with a RAW image processing program, so you need to use a third-party one, such as Adobe Lightroom or RawTherapee. As the name suggested, the former is developed by Adobe and integrates very well with Adobe Photoshop, making advanced image processing much easier.
RawTherapee, on the other hand, is an open-source image processing program that is dedicated to post-production without destroying the original photo as much as possible. More surprisingly, it supports advanced color handling, CIE Color Appearance Model 2002 module, multi-threaded processing, and a wide range of cameras.
Prevention Measure to Minimize RW2 File Loss
Prevention is the key to avoiding data loss. It either gives you a chance to recover deleted RW2 photo directly or reduce the risk of losing RW2 files. Try the following effective methods:
1️⃣ Regular backups: Backup your RW2 files immediately after data recovery and make it a habit to protect your precious data. It eliminates data loss in the first place. As for backup software, it’s worth trying AOMEI Backupper Standard.
2️⃣ Employable antivirus software: Investing in antivirus software helps to scan your disk and remove viruses or malware in the first place. So your files will not be infected and deleted.
3️⃣ Be cautious with deletion: Double-check before deleting any file to prevent accidental deletion. It is one of the major reasons for RW2 file deletion.
4️⃣ Avoid improper operations: Safely eject your storage device after usage. Don’t capture new images at a low battery level. Avoid using the same card on multiple systems.
5️⃣ Inest a high-quality storage device: A poor-quality storage device is subject to hardware issues whereas a good-quality device does not. It’s suggested to get a device from a well-known brand.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are deleted files permanently gone?
2. Can I recover RW2 files from a formatted SD card?
3. Can deleted RW2 files be recovered indefinitely?
Losing RW2 files doesn't have to be a permanent setback. With the right method at your disposal, you can often successfully recover deleted RW2 files. Remember to act swiftly, use reliable recovery software like MyRecover, and always keep a schedule backup to safeguard your precious memories.
Powerful Data Recovery Software in Any Scenario.