Best Data Recovery Software for Lost Partitions in Windows 10, 8, 7
Want to find the best data recovery software for lost partitions? Follow this tutorial to get the best data recovery solutions to recover lost data and partitions in Windows 10/8/7.
About partition loss
The hard disk space on a computer is divided into many partitions to enable users to manage personal files easily. Furthermore, it also makes your system a more secure environment. Each partition is treated as if it were a single drive by your computer.
You could create several partitions depending on your needs. Make a partition for system files (C Drive) and another for your data (photos, audio, video, and documents, for example).
Always save your files on a separate partition rather than the C drive partition. If the system fails, you must install the operating system on the C Drive partition without formatting the other partitions.
Partition loss could happen due to kinds of unknown reasons. If there is no backup of your data, the best way to rescue the data is to find professional data recovery software for lost partition to help you find it back.
How to recover lost partitions and data?
Depending on the scope and difficulty of the rehabilitation process, each method employs a different technique. The first step in recovering any data is to try some simple ways on your own, such as looking through the recycle bin or other cache files.
After you've attempted unsuccessfully to recover the data on your own, it's time to turn to data recovery software. There is a lot of data recovery software on the market today. Furthermore, the software you choose must be secure and reliable.
Before using data recovery software for lost partition and data, there are a few points to keep in mind:
- Do not undertake any more operations to your lost partition and hard disk. Since the more you make, the more likely you are to overwrite it, and the less likely you are to recover partition data.
- Perform hard drive data partition recovery as soon as possible since the partition has been deleted or lost.
- Do not format the disk in the hopes of getting things back to normal.
- Do not recreate a new partition on the unallocated space or rebuild the partition table.
- Avoid dubious methods, as they can exacerbate the problem if used incorrectly.
Case 1: Assign a drive letter to the lost partition via Command Prompt
After you find your partition is lost, the first thing is to check the status of the partition in Disk Management. If a partition is deleted, the volume will be marked as Unallocated. If you want to recover the unallocated space, partition recovery software could be the best choice.
If the lost partition is marked with an asterisk and invisible in Windows File Explorer, assigning a drive letter to the lost partition via CMD could be a good solution. This way requires users to know Command-Line.
Step 1: Press “Win + R” and type “diskmgmt.msc” in the Run window to open Disk Management to find the lost partition in Disk Management. Remember the partition size.
Step 2: Press “Win + R” and type “CMD” to Run CMD as administrator.
Step 3: Type the following command and press Enter after each input.
list disk. All disks in the computer will be on the list.
select disk # (Replace # with the number of the hard disk that contains the lost partition).
list volume. All volumes on the disk will be displayed.
select volume # (replace # with the number of the lost partition).
assign letter=# (Replace # with an available drive letter, from C to Z).
Case 2: Recover data from the lost partition via data recovery software
If the partition loss happens due to a formatted or corrupted partition, the data recovery software could be the best way to recover data from it. MyRecover is recommended to perform partition data recovery for Windows. It supports kinds of data loss scenarios and restores more than 200 file types, including photos, videos, documents, PDF, Word files, etc.
Step 1. Launch MyRecover on your computer. Select a partition to start scanning.
Step 2. The program runs the scanning process quickly to find deleted files and other missing files in this partition. During scanning, you could recover any file you want.
Step 3. Select the file or the folder that you want to recover and click "Recover files".
Case 3: Recover the entire lost partition via partition recovery software
Delete your partition accidentally? The professional recovery software could easily recover the entire lost partition. The data stored in the lost partition will be back together if there is no new operation in the partition. Please remember that time matters for lost partition recovery.
AOMEI Partition Recovery Wizard, a built-in utility of AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional, is created to recover lost or deleted partitions including FAT, NTFS, Ext2, Ext3, Ext4 for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP. It can be partition and data recovery software for lost partitions if the data stored in the lost partition haven't been overwritten.
- AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional✎...
AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional is a multifunctional disk management software that enables users to manage disk partitions with no effort.
- Disk partition manager: resize/move partition, merge partitions, split partition, format partition, allocate free space, etc.
- Converter & wizards: convert MBR to GPT, convert dynamic to basic disk, convert NTFS to FAT32, disk clone, APP mover, Windows to Go creator, etc.
Step 1. Download and install AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional. To recover lost partitions in Windows 10, you could download the demo version below.
Step 2. Select Partition Recovery Wizard on the left panel in the main interface and select the disk including the lost partition. Click “Next”.
Step 3. Select a search mode. There are two kinds of search modes. It is recommended to choose Fast Search the first time. And then click “Next”.
Step 4. The tool will show the list of all lost or deleted partitions. You could select the partition you want to restore.
Step 5. After the partition recovery process completes, click “Finish” to exit when a message “Congratulations” shows. Then you can go to File Explorer to check the lost or deleted partitions.
Why Does a Partition Get Lost or Deleted?
We can't ignore the importance of partitions because they boost our efficiency while also protecting our data. Here are the four main causes of partition loss, you may prevent your data and partition from being lost in the future.
- Accidental deletion. One of the most common reasons for partition loss is deleting or formatting the wrong partition. Therefore, always double-check before confirming the deletion of any file.
- Partitioning error. The partition table is damaged or users resize the partitions with unreliable software. AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard is a perfect freeware to manage the partitions, especially for computer novices.
- Unexpected system shutdowns. A sudden power outage might interrupt vital data transfer procedures and degrade data integrity.
- Virus or malware attack. Malware and virus attacks partitions and the data stored on them in different ways. Furthermore, thieves are constantly improving their methods and making malware more difficult to detect.
A destroyed partition isn't always a data disaster. In the vast majority of cases, the partition was never deleted. You can bring this vanished partition back to life by reassigning it a drive letter. Or you could use professional data recovery software for lost partitions and data.
Of course, the best way to prevent data from being lost or deleted is to back up the important data regularly. You could make a backup in an external hard drive or choose a reliable backup tool-AOMEI Backupper to secure your vital data with the simplest operation.