Can you recover files after deleting partition?
Hard drive, the most precious component of a PC, stores seas of data of users. Once the hard drive runs into errors or emergencies somehow, the data in it is in danger.
It sounds like a tough issue but is frequently encountered by users. Let’s see some of the real cases here below.
I have a Samsung 850 500GB SSD drive in my system. I accidentally deleted the partition. It contained some work data that I would like to get back. What do you guys think?
- Question from HDDGURU FORUMS
The users in these two cases have suffered from the same problem—data loss resulting from accidental deletion. After that, an unallocated partition is generated. Then they need methods for unallocated partition recovery.
Annoying and pitiful things like this happen a lot somehow in daily life with our storage devices.
However, except keeping complaining about it, we can do something to solve it.
Interestingly, except for accidentally deleted partition, here are some other reasons for partition and data loss.
To perform data recovery after deleting partition in a better manner, we’d better get some knowledge about the reasons for data loss and the possibility that data can be restored.
Other causes of data loss
The reasons why data get lost vary a lot. Unintentional or unexpected deletion is just the most common one of them, and here are some others listed as follows.
• Virus & malware. Devices may get intruded on by viruses and malware via spam or suspicious websites. After getting infected, the partition table may get damaged, leading to data loss.
• Corrupted partition table. No matter MBR or GPT, the partition table cannot always get rid of the corruption risk. Interruption while partitioning or resizing, viruses attacks and human error are possible causes of corruption. Then you have to recover partition table.
• Unexpected shutdown. A sudden shutdown caused by a power outage may interrupt the process of operation, making damage to the program or hard drive system, leading to a severe result.
• Physical damage. Dropping, high temperature, high humidity, dusty environment, etc., may also cause physical damage to the parts of the hard drive.
Awareness of reasons that lead to data loss can help users understand their situation and recover data from deleted partitions better.
Possibility of data recovery after Deleting Partition
Is there any possibility that data can be retrieved after partition deletion?
Yes, but with a prerequisite. Users should keep the space left by deletion not to be overwritten. The space utilized by deleted files is recorded as free space in the Windows file system, indicating that the file data can still exist and be restored with the help of professional software.
But, any further operation may generate new data, which may overwrite this space, and then data is irreversible. So it is critical that once the data is lost, no further operation on the partition should be made.
Now we know that lost data after deleting partitions is recoverable. So, how to conduct it? Check it out in the next part.
How to recover data from deleted partition?
Maybe you have searched for the methods to recover data after deleting partitions, and some say that using "attrib" commands can solve your problem. But eventually, you found it useless.
It is because this command can only modify the attributes of files. If there are hidden files, then you could use this command to remove the "hidden" attribute, thus your files are "recovered". In fact, this command is not foolproof.
To restore lost data from deleted partitions safely and easily, instead of taking some labor-consuming attempts, users may ask for help from a deleted file recovery software. Windows File Recovery, a Microsoft official tool, can recover deleted or lost files in Windows 10 2004 and later.
To learn how to use Windows File Recovery better, and get to know more about recovery modes and switches, please get some help here. Before using this tool, figure out these first.
- File System: the way your OS uses to store and retrieve the data.
- Source drive: where you have lost your files.
- Destination drive: a place to save your recovered files, must be different from the source drive.
- Recovery mode: general: Regular & Extensive; advanced: Segment & Signature.
- Switch: parameters to filter the scanning range.
Check your file system, please. Tab on Win+E to open This PC > right-click on the drive that has lost files > Properties.
Then decide which mode to use.
|NTFS||Deleted for a while||Extensive|
|FAT and exFAT||Any||Extensive|
Use switches to narrow the scanning range.
|/n||Filter the scan range: scans for a specific file with its file name/path/type, etc.||All|
|/y:||Recover specific extension groups.||Signature|
|/k||Recovers system files.||NTFS
|/u||Recovers undeleted files, for example, from the Recycle Bin.||NTFS
Now follow the steps to recover data from deleted partitions.
- If you do not pick a Recovery mode, your machine will be scanned in Regular mode.
- The source and target drives must not be the same.
- If the error "Windows File Recovery failed to create destination folder" occurs, please get some help.
Step 1. Install and launch Windows File Recovery in Microsoft Store.
Step 2. Choose a recovery mode and switch based on your data loss circumstances. Input the command:
winfr source-drive: destination-drive: [/mode] [/switches]
For example, if you are using an NTFS hard drive, and you need to restore pdf files from D: drive to E: drive, then you could make use of Regular mode. The command will go like this:
winfr D: E: /regular /n *.pdf
By implementing these steps, you will have performed data recovery after deleting partitions. If you meet the error that Windows File Recovery stuck at 99%, please get help.
But for some ordinary users, it is too difficult because of the complex commands.
Then what to do if you don't know commands? How to get rid of them? How to recover data from deleted partitions easily?
Here freeware will be recommended: WinfrGUI.
WinfrGUI - Free tool to recover lost files
Recovers deleted media/office/zip files and so on within just a few clicks
Step 1. Select the flash drive > select a drive or folder to save your recovered files.
Step 2. Select a scanning mode. Target the folder or path if you need it in Advanced Settings.
Step 3. Click Start Recovery, then your files could be successfully recovered.
In this post, solutions to data recovery after deleting partition are well-prepared for users. Causes of data loss and the possibility to recover data from deleted partitions have been expounded, too.
If you need a Windows data recovery tool to restore deleted or missing data from hard drives, MyRecover will help you out.
Also, forming a risk awareness can help users prevent as many future risks as possible.
- It is advisable to make backups regularly. Here users may utilize AOMEI Backupper, some inbuilt features like “Disk Backup”, and “System Backup” can be of help.
- Utilize and update antivirus software regularly. Take advantage of an antivirus program to scan your device before the virus can make some damage.
- Keep your device enough charged at any time especially while you are performing some operations like resizing the partition.
- Emphasize maintenance and preservation. Use the device with care, and keep it from heat, liquid, and dusty places.