Unable to open HEIC file on Windows 10?
Since iOS 11, Apple uses HEIC images by default. It just takes up half of the JPG file size without sacrificing image quality, which helps to save storage space. However, many devices and platforms do not support this format including Windows operating systems, so you may find that you cannot view HEIC files on your Windows PC like the above users. Fortunately, there are ways to help you open HEIC files on Windows computer.
● For Windows 10, 11 users, there is a HEIC codec that you can install on computer to help you check HEIC images.
● For Windows 8, 7 users, there is no such support for the file extension but you can convert HEIC to JPG or PNG.
Next, we will walk you through the steps to add HEIC support on Windows 10 and the steps to convert HEIC files to JPG or PNG on Windows 11, 10, 8, 7. Here we go.
How to Open HEIC Files on Windows 10?
As long as you have Windows 10 version 1809 or later installed, you can install the HEIC codec to help you open HEIC files.
You can type “winver” in the search box and hit Enter to have a check. If the version is below 1809, you may update the software, otherwise, the HEIC codec cannot be installed. Or you may choose to convert HEIC to JPG/PNG instead.
Steps to install HEIC Windows 10 Codec:
Step 1. Open a browser and go to HEIF Image Extensions page > Click Get to download and install it on your computer.
Step 2. Once the extension is installed, you will find that it will show thumbnails of HEIC images in File Explorer. You can double click an image and it will open in the Photos app.
How to Convert HEIC Files on Windows 11, 10, 8, 7
The Windows 10 codec makes it possible to open HEIC file, however, the images are still in HEIC format. If you want to share pictures or edit them through image processing tools, you’d better convert them to widely-supported formats like JPG or PNG.
Actually, there are many online HEIC converters that can help you. However, your pictures will be uploaded to the Internert and there will be a risk of privacy leakage. Besides, the offline tool is quicker when you have lots of photos to convert.
FoneTool is one iOS data management tool for Windows 11, 10, 8, 7 users. Besides data backup and transfer, it also offers useful tools like HEIC Converter that help you view and change HEIC to JPG/PNG.
Its outstanding features on HEIC converting:
● File Format to Choose. It is able to convert HEIC to JPG, JPEG, PNG format.
● Batch Conversion. It allows you to batch convert HEIC files to save your precious time.
● High Photo Quality. It will not degrade picture quality and will retain the Exif Information.
● No Risk of Photo Leakage. The conversion happens locally and pictures are only visible to you.
You can simply drag and drop the HEIC images to start the conversion. Download the tool on your PC and start the converting right now!
Best Free HEIC Converter
√ An easy tool for Windows PC to convert HEIC files - no damage to image quality.
√ Convert HEIC to JPG/JPEG/PNG in an easy, quick, safe way.
Steps to Convert HEIC Files on Windows 11, 10, 8, 7
Step 1. Run FoneTool.
Step 2. On the Home screen, click Toolbox > Click HEIC Converter.
Step 3. Drag the photos you need or click Add Photos to choose HEIC images.
Step 4. Choose .JPG/.JPEG/.PNG next to Photo Format > Choose the Photo Quality and Conversion Speed you prefer > Choose the storage path to save the photos.
Step 5. If everything is OK, click Start Converting.
When the conversion is completed, you can click View files to check the photos.
That’s all for how to open HEIC files on Windows 11, 10, 8, 7.
For Windows 10 users who have Windows 10 version 1809 or later installed, you can install HEIC codec and open HEIC images via Photos app.
Whether it’s Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows 8, or Windows 7, you can choose to convert HEIC to JPG, JPEG, or PNG via AOMEI HEIC Converter so that you can easily share pictures to other platforms or edit them easily.
FoneTool Runs Perfectly on
- iOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPadOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPhone 14/14 Pro (Max), 13/13 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 12/12 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max)
- iPhone X/XR/XS/XS Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6s/6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st, 2nd, 3rd generations)
- iPod touch 1/2/3/4/5/6/7
- All models of iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad Pro and iPad