iPhone is one of the best smartphones you can get your hands on but it can also drive you crazy when things go wrong. Data loss may be the last situation you want to face, however, your iPhone restored itself without asking and thus cause important photo loss! In this case, what should you do to stop your iPhone from wiping itself? Keep reading the find the solution.
Why Has My iPhone Wiped Itself?
Actually, if you ever Google this issue you will find that there is no clear explanation for this question. Analysis based on descriptions of users, the following 3 reasons may cause this “My iPhone Erased Itself” problem.
● Battery Issues. The iPhone wiped itself problem may happen caused by faulty battery units on the iPhone.
● Others Wiped Your iPhone. One possible reason is someone else know your Apple ID and passcode and erase your iPhone remotely.
● Hardware Failure. Your phone may have suffered a hardware failure and you may go to Apple Store for help.
Solutions to iPhone Wiped Itself
Before calling Apple tech support or going to Apple Store for help, you may try the following solutions to troubleshoot the iPhone wiped itself problem.
1. Force Restart Your iPhone
Force restart is a simple trick and you can try it whenever you encounter any problems.
● Force restart iPhone 8 and later & iPad with Face ID :
Quickly press and release the Volume Up button > Quickly press and release the Volume Down button > Press and hold the Side/Top button until you see the Apple logo.
● Force restart iPhone 7/7 Plus:
Press and hold the Power button and Volume Down button together > Release both buttons when the Apple logo appears.
● Force restart iPhone 6s, SE and earlier & iPad with Home button:
Hold down the Home button and the Power button at the same time > Release both buttons when the Apple logo appears.
2. Check the Battery
The “iPhone Wiped Itself” may happen because of battery issues. You can go to have a check whether the battery is working will. Since iOS 11.3, Apple pushed out a new feature called Battery Health that lets you check the battery health of your iPhone.
You can go to Settings > Battery > Battery Health to have a check. If the Peak Performance Capability shows any abnormality, you can read the information underneath it that gives you suggestions.
3. Reset All Settings
Reset All Settings will reset all settings to the default and will not do any harm to the data. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings to make it.
4. Update iOS to the Latest Version
Apple always continues releasing new iOS to fix bugs and errors. You can go to have a check whether there is a new update available: Settings > General >Software Update. It may help fix the iPhone wiped itself issue.
5. Restore Your iPhone
If all the above methods cannot help you fix the “My iPhone Erased Itself” problem, the last option is to erase and restore your iPhone.
→ Restore iPhone from iCloud Backup
Set up your iPhone until you access the Apps & Data screen, tap Restore from iCloud Backup > Sign in with your Apple ID and passcode > Select the backup you want to restore.
→ Restore iPhone from iTunes Backup
1. Make sure the iTunes is up to date > Run iTunes > Plug in your iPhone.
2. Click the Device icon > Go to Summary > Click Restore Backup... > Choose the right backup and click Restore.
→ Restore iPhone in Recovery Mode
If you cannot turn on your iPhone, you can try to restore your iPhone in Recovery Mode
1. Plug in your iPhone and run iTunes.
2. Force restart your iPhone to put it in Recovery Mode.
3. A pop-up window will appear in iTunes > Click Restore option.
→ Restore iPhone via AOMEI MBackupper
Besides using iTunes to restore your iPhone, one iOS backup tool - AOMEI MBackupper also can help you reset your iPhone to factory settings. After the restoration, it will automatically activate iPhone without the complicated activation process.
1. Launch AOMEI MBackupper and connect your iPhone to computer via USB cable.
2. Click Erase iPhone under Tools.
3. Tick the option according to your situation.
4. Click Erase iPhone > A warning message will appear and click Yes to confirm.
Backup Your iPhone Data Regularly
Unexpected things happen now and then. Regularly backing up the iPhone can ensure that your important data is well protected. Some people do not want to backup iPhone because of the inconvenience of iTunes and iCloud. Do you feel the same way? If so, you may try AOMEI MBackupper to backup your iPhone in an easy way.
● It lets you back up all content in 1-click or only the selected files to the designated location.
● It lets you preview and select the files that you want to restore to iPhone instead of all of the backup.
● What’s more, the backup files are readable and it will not erase any existing data during or after the restoration.
For detailed steps, you can refer to this How to Backup My iPhone guide to learn more.
That’s all for how to fix the “My iPhone Wiped Itself” issue. Hope it helps you somewhat. By the way, to ensure data security, it’s recommended that you take a backup regularly so that you can quickly find lost data back when the problem occurs.