WMV File Recovery: Recover Deleted WMV Video Files Safely
No matter what the reason is, there is always a way to do WMV file recovery effectively. Get them right now! Meanwhile, it also helps to repair corrupted WMV files.
What Is a WMV File?
WMV (originally WMV7), short for Windows Media Video, is a type of video file format and the default format for the Windows Media Player, originated from Microsoft’s Windows Media Video (WMV) compression technology in 1999. It’s based on the Microsoft Advanced Systems Format (ASF) container and an integral part of the Windows Media framework. The latest version is WMV 9.
Here are some key features of it:
- Compressed video file format. It is usually smaller and easier to store, especially for computers with lower capacities. At the same time, it does not produce higher quality than other video formats.
- More flexible. It can be packaged into AVI or Matroska (MKV) container formats. This will change the file extension to AVI or MKV, respectively.
- Support variable bit rate, average bit rate, and constant bit rate. This applies to all versions of the format.
In addition, its newer version of WMV 9 introduced several important features, such as interlaced video, non-square pixels, frame interpolation, etc.
Can I Perform a WMV File Recovery?
Yes, you can recover WMV video files, but it depends on the cause. If it’s physical damage, there is no easy way to help you, but seek help from a professional data recovery service (eg: Geek Squad). Below are some common causes for WMV file loss.
- Accidental deletion: When cleaning the disk or just unintentionally, WMV files may be deleted, especially for those videos not or rarely used. If you connect it to a PC and do not empty Recycle Bin, your WMV files may be there.
- Formatting: In fact, formatting is divided into quick format and full format. The previous method only deletes the file directories instead of sectors actually containing data while the latter one will overwrite data including WMV files on the disk. So be sure you use the quick format method.
- Storage corruption: It is very common for unprotected devices, especially older ones, which will slowly break down and affect data on it. The reasons for this may be software failure, virus damage, antivirus software, etc. You still can try data recovery software.
- Data transfer interruption: Any interruptions in the transfer of WMV files will eventually damage them, such as abrupt remove the device. In this case, you need to repair corrupted VMV files instead of recovering them.
WMV File Recovery Dos and Don’ts
In the following, you will get several methods and follow these guides to effortlessly recover deleted WMV files on Windows 7, 8, 10, 11, etc. However, to maximize the recovery chances, you still need to know some important tips:
- Avoid creating or writing new data to the storage device immediately.
- Don’t format the Kingston USB. This process will delete the partition and all the data on it, thereby causing further data loss. It’s also called overwriting.
- Initiate the data recovery process as soon as possible. It helps to minimize the risk of data overwriting.
- Try data recovery with the highest success rate first. Every attempt reduce the chance of successful data retrieval.
- Be sure the TRIM feature is disabled if you are using an SSD disk. It makes data recovery impossible.
How to Recover Deleted WMV Video Files Effortlessly
Among all data recovery methods, restoring files from backup images is the most effective. But many users do not have it. Thus, it is recommended to use data recovery software to retrieve your WMV files first.
Way 1: Recover WMV with Software (Highest Success Rate)
MyRecover is a safe & reliable data recovery software in Windows 7, 8, 10, 11, etc, and enables you to recover deleted WMV video files easily and quickly, with a success rate of more than 95%.
- Two advanced scanning methods: Quick Scan and Deep Scan. It will scan and search for all the deleted or lost files on the selected storage device.
- 200+ file types: recover deleted Word/Excel/PPT documents, images, emails, audio files, videos, and more.
- Complete recovery: recover all the found files completely without losing their quality.
- All-inclusive: handle different data loss scenarios, such as accidental deletion, disk format (eg: recover data from formatted drive), virus infection, inaccessible disk error, etc.
Now please download this data recovery software. Reconnect your storage device and be sure it’s recognized by your Windows system. You can then follow the steps below to start WMV file recovery.
Step 1: Select and scan the storage device previously containing WMV files.
Launch this data recovery software. It will display all the available drives. Select the device containing WMV files and Click the Start Scan button.
Step 2: Preview deleted or lost WMV files.
This software will scan this device quickly and deeply and search for all the deleted or lost WMV video files. You can filter and preview them on this device. Here are two methods:
- Click Filter and select a file type, such as Videos.
- Expand the Deleted Files, Recycle Bin, or Other Missing Files tab and go to the folder containing deleted Video files.
Step 3: Recover data from this storage device.
Once all the deleted or lost WMV files are found, select them and click the Recover x files button. You will then be asked to select a location. Please select a new location instead of the original location.
- The restore button will display the number of selected WMV files and their full size. You can use it to determine the integrity of the recovered WMV files.
- Saving the recovered WMV files to the original location may cause data corruption or further data loss.
- This software also applies to X3F file recovery, 3FR file recovery, fh file recovery, etc.
- You can recover deleted WMV files for free, up to 30MB each time. To recover all of them, try advanced editions.
Way 2: Recover WMV Files from Recycle Bin Folder
The deleted files (eg: WMV files) on a Windows PC will be moved the Recycle Bin folder. If you don’t empty it or shift deleted files, you can check it here. It will keep them for 30 days.
Step 1: Double-click the Recycle Bin icon located on your desktop.
Step 2: Find out the WMV file you wish to recover. Then, right-click on the WMV file and click the Restore button. It will restore them to their original folder.
Step 3: Alternatively, you can drag and drop the file into a folder of your choice.
Way 3: Restore WMV Video Files Using File History
If you happen to have a file backup with File History, try to restore files from backup. You can also use Backup and Restore (Windows 7) or third-party backup software you are using.
Step 1: Type file history in the search bar located in the Start menu and select the Restore your files with File History option.
Step 2: Click the Restore personal files option on the left side.
Step 3: Locate the deleted WMV files in the most recent backup. You can also click the left or right arrow to switch backup images.
Step 4: Once complete, click the green restore button at the bottom. It will initiate the WMV file recovery process and put them back to their original folder.
How to Play WMV Video on Different Devices
Playing a WMV video file is similar to other videos. You need a video player that supports the WMV file format. In different systems, you may need to use different video players. We collect some popular programs capable of opening WMV video files on different devices:
- Windows Media Player (Windows): The default media player for WMV files in Windows PC.
- KMPlayer (Windows, Android): A long-standing free video player. However, KMPlayer is not currently available for macOS.
- VLC Media Player (Windows, macOS, Android): A highly popular open-source video player supports a wide range of video formats on multiple platforms.
- Elmedia Player (macOS): A first-choice for Mac users. It offers the ability to play WMV files and other unsupported video formats in Apple's QuickTime Player.
- MX Player (Android): A versatile video player for Android, with an intuitive interface and compatibility with numerous video formats.
For Windows Users
The process is relatively straightforward. You just need to double-click the WMV file and Windows Media Player will play it for you. It’s the default format for this video player. Or use a third-party video player. Right-click the file and select Open with > Windows Media Player.
For macOS and Other Devices
MacOS and other devices require additional downloads or file format conversions. The easiest way is to use a third-party video player, such as VLC Media Player. Simply right-click the WMV file and select the Open with > VLC Media Player option to play the file.
How to Repair Corrupted WMV Files Effectively
If you get the error "Windows Media Player encountered a problem playing this file", the WMV file may be corrupted. Then how to repair corrupted WMV files? Here are two available ways:
#1: Try the VLC media player. It works with Windows OS, MacOS, and Linux distributions, and supports a wide range of video codes, including additional tools for repairing and opening files with minor corruptions.
#2: convert the WMV file to MP4 format. MPT is more accessible and acceptable across media platforms and devices. The generated videos are usually much smaller.
Then, follow the guide below to repair corrupted WMV video files.
Way 1: Play Corrupted WMV using VLC
Step 1: Select and right-click on the corrupt .wmv file and click Open with.
Step 2: Choose a VLC media player. Then, the corrupt .wmv file will now play in VLC.play.
Way 2: Convert WMV file to MP4 Format
Step 1: Open the VLC media player. Click on Media and select Convert/Save.
Step 2: In the File tab, click the Add button and select the corrupted WMV video file.
Step 3: Click Convert in the Convert /Save dropdown.
Step 4: Go to Settings and select Video–H.264 + MP3 (MP4) profile.
Step 5: Click Browse in the Destination section to select a path. Then, click the Start button to convert the WMV file format. Once complete, try to play the WMV file again.
Bonus Tips to Prevent WMV File Loss
I think you probably don't want to lose any precious WMV video files. If you think so too, there are some things you can do to protect it safely.
#1: Keep work and leisure separate to reduce the risk of WMV file loss. At the same time, to make sure your computer is always stable, you still need to update your operating system regularly.
#2: Password protects your machine. It’s always a good idea to set a strong password on your computer. This helps to prevent an unauthorized person from modifying or deleting your files effortlessly.
#3: Back up WMV files regularly. It gives you a chance to restore files from backup and you can use built-in Windows backup software, such as, File History, and Backup and Restore. But third-party software is usually more flexible and offers rich features. We recommend you use AOMEI Backupper Standard.