Fix or Restore Missing DLL Files in Windows 10, 11 [13 Ways]
If you cannot run a program properly and get a DLL missing error message, get the possible reasons and 13 available methods to fix or restore missing DLL files in Windows 10 or 11.
Missing Dll files in Windows 7, 8, 10, 11, etc are one of the most common Dll-related Problems out there. It can be MSVCR110.dll, MSVCR71.dll, d3compiler_43.dll, LogiLDA.dll, MSVCP140.dll, api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll, VCRUNTIME140.dll, etc. Among them, the most popular one is MSCVP110.dll. You may receive error messages below:
- The program can't start because .dll file is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
- Cannot find .dll. Please, re-install this application.
- This application failed to start because .dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
In sum, if you have problems fixing or restoring missing Dll files, continue to read this article and learn more about this error & x effective methods.
Missing .dll Files Since Update to Windows 10
“I never had any problems with missing .dll files until I installed windows 10, until now a month or two later when I noticed it because of a game I was playing. Then, when I downloaded a program that was supposed to fix the problem, it told me there were 768 .dll files missing.
Anyways my question is, is there any way I can fix this free, without buying programs online, a way from Microsoft or something? thanks in advance”
What Causes the Missing DLL files?
Dll, short for Dynamic Link Library, is a type of essential file holding multiple codes and procedures, which help a program to run specific operations, such as locating a file in a particular directory. It’s generally stored in the Windows\system32 folder.
When you run a program, it is linked to the corresponding DLL files. If it’s missing, you can’t open the program and receive error messages. What is this about? There are many reasons below for DLL file loss:
- The DLL file is deleted by mistake.
- A recent program installation may overwrite existing DLL files with an incompatible or invalid one.
- Uninstalling a program leads to a missing DLL file.
- Malware or virus deletes or corrupts your existing DLL file.
- Corrupted Windows operating system or disk.
Click here to learn more about DLL file.
How to Restore Missing DLL Files in Windows 10 or 11
After knowing the possible causes for missing DLL files in Windows 10 or 11 for games or other programs, you may have clues to fix or restore DLL files. Here are 3 simple methods to try beforehand.
- Check the Recycle Bin. The deleted files on local disk will be moved to Recycle Bin first and keep a period of time. So there is a change to recover files deleted from Recycle Bin
- Restart your computer. The missing DLL file in Windows 10 or 11 may be only temporary. Simply reboot your system and it will be fine.
- Uninstall and reinstall the program. By doing this, you will get new runnable DLL files or folders. If the problem still exists, you still need to reinstall DLL files.
If you still cannot fix missing DLL files, try the advanced methods below.
Method 1. Scan for Malware or Viruses
A virus or malicious piece of software is able to hide as DLL files, bringing damage to your program, or directly delete your DLL files and make it unusable. So it’s recommended to download a well-known anti-virus software online or use Windows Defender to run a full scan and remove the virus.
Method 2. Run System File Checker
The System File Checker helps to find and replace the missing or corrupted system files in your operating system, such as, DLL files, making it reusable.
Step 1. Press the Windows + X keys and go for the Windows PowerShell(Admin) option.
Step 2. Input sfc /scannow in the command prompt window and press Enter.
Wait for the process to complete. If it finds and replaces missing DLL files in Windows 10 or 11, then the problem is solved.
But if it does not find the missing DLL files or can’t fix them, you need to jump to the next solution.
Method 3. Perform DISM Command Tool
If the sfc /scannow not working, you still can try DISM (Deployment Image & Servicing Management) TO fix missing DLL files on Windows 10 or 11 free.
Step 1. Open Windows PowerShell(Admin).
Step 2. Input DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth in the command prompt window and press Enter.
Method 4. Try File Recovery Software
If your files are accidentally deleted or missing due to other reasons, you can try file recovery software like MyRecover to restore missing DLL files in Windows 10 or 11. It also applies to Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows Server.
- Support two advanced scanning methods - Quick Scan and Deep Scan. It helps to find all deleted and lost files comprehensively.
- Filter specific files quickly and recover them immediately once it’s found. Don’t need to wait until the scanning process complete.
- Keep the recovered DLL files with original name, format, and path.
- Recover files from external hard drive, local disk, HDD, SSD, USB, and other storage devices.
- Get back files successfully and quickly due to system or disk corruption, virus attack, accidental deletion, etc.
To get back lost DLL files, you need to download and install this Windows data recovery software. You can FREE recover files up to 30MB. To recover unlimited files, you need to upgrade MyRecover.
Step 1. Run Windows data recovery software - MyRecover. Select the disk or partition missing DLL files and click Start Scan.
Step 2. It will scan all deleted and other missing files on this drive automatically. You can type .dll or its filename in the search box to locate all DLL files quickly. Or, use the Filter feature and its options: Types, Date Modified, and Size.
Step 3. Choose the deleted DLL file, and click Recover x files.
- MyRecover will display the number of DLL files to be recovered and their entire size.
- Select a new location to store the deleted DLL files. Retrieving files to original location may overwrite the space of deleted folder, resulting in data recovery failure.
- Except for Windows 7, 8, 10, and 11, it still can recover deleted files from Windows Server 2016, 2019, 2022, etc.
- Besides DLL file, this software also helps to recover Word docuements, Excel, Photos, PowerPoint, PDF, ZIP, and more than 200 file types.
Method 5. Reinstall Visual C++ Redistributables
You might see the DLL error when installing applications, games or the similar installation. Without the right version of Redistributions, the installed software will stop functioning.
In general, you need to install the latest version of Visual C++ Redistributables. But still some program requires an older version of Redistribution. You just need to go to Microsoft’s latest Visual C++ Redistributables download page in your browser and download the corresponding version of it. Then the problem should be resolved.
Method 6. Install the Latest Windows Update
If you receive the “DLL file missing” error in Windows 10 or 11, you can try to install the latest Windows Update. Because it helps to replace or update Microsoft distributed DLL files on your computer.
Step 1. Press Win + I to open Windows Settings and click Update & Security.
Step 2. Click Check for update under Windows Update.
Step 3. Wait until the result. If there is any Windows Update available, click Install Now.
Method 7. Restore Lost DLL Files from System Restore
If you suspect important files or system configuration changes are the cause of the missing DLL files, you can try System Restore to repair the DLL files issue.
Step 1. Type create a restore point in the Windows search box and click Open. Then, select System Restore and click Next.
Step 2. Select the right restore point and click Scan for affected programs to check which will be affected if you return to a past restore point.
Step 3. Finally, hit Finish > Next to restore missing DLL files in Windows 10 or 11.
Method 8. Use Register Tool
Incorrect DLL entry or useless file in the Registry can also be the cause of DLL files loss error. The sources can be application errors, incomplete installations/uninstallation, configuration conflicts, etc. In this case, you need to try Registry tools, which help to clean excessive or irrelevant keys.
Method 9. Copy DLL files from Another Health Machine
Many software is compatible with the old version of Windows and requires a specific version of DLL files to run. If you are experiencing this issue, try to copy these DLL files from a health system and replace it in the proper directory. Then check if this method works.
Sometimes, you need to re-registry the DLL files. The software developer may offer different versions of DLL files to meet different users’ needs. You could download the required version here.
Method 10. Download a DLL File Manually
If your problem is still not solved, you can try to download the DLL file manually from the software’s official website or Microsoft link. Don’t download files from other unknown sites. If you accidentally get a harmful file, your entire system and computer data can be damaged or get lost.
IMPORTANT: It’s worth mentioning that if you use a third-party program or game, you need to reinstall the program as well as the DLL files.
✍ Where are the DLL files located in Windows 10?
In general, the DLL file is saved to C:\Windows\System32. You can also find it in your program files folder, or in other places. You can search your computer for a .dll file using its filename and find out the save location.
✍ How to install missing DLL files
First, you need to find the missing .dll file from a reliable site, such as, software’s official website. Then, download the .dll file to the "C:\Windows\System32" folder. After that, type regsvr32 name_of_dll. Dll in the run window and hit OK. It will be installed on your Windows.
✍ What happens if DLL files are missing?
If the required DLL file missing in the program, you will not be able to run the program. At the same time, you will receive DLL error message and ask you to reinstall the program.
If you are experiencing the DLL missing error, worry not, this article introduces you to the possible reasons in details and 13 availble methods to fix or restore missing DLL files in Windows 10 or 11. Try 3 simple methods first.
If the cause of missing DLL files is accidental deletion, the most effective method is to use a professional file recovery software like MyRecover. It helps to recover DLL files and more than 200+ file type successfully and quickly.