How to Fix RAW Drive without Losing Data
Learn to fix RAW drive without losing data via several feasible solutions in this article. You can recover data from RAW drives or convert RAW to NTFS based on your needs.
- Is it possible to fix RAW drive without losing data?
- Phase 1. How to fix RAW partition without losing data
- Phase 2. How to fix RAW partition without losing data
- Related Q&A about RAW data recovery & external hard drive data recovery
Is it possible to fix RAW drive without losing data?
How do I convert RAW drive to NTFS without losing data? I tried to use data recovery software to recover it, but it didn’t work. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
-A user from Toms Hardware
Please don’t worry because feasible solutions make it possible to fix RAW drive without losing data. When it comes to RAW data recovery, file systems play an important role.
When your hard drive suddenly shows RAW rather than NTFS, its file system might be damaged. Besides, unrecognized or missing file systems are also blamed for this issue.
In brief, the RAW file system suggests your hard drive has no or unknown file systems.
Phase 1. How to fix RAW partition without losing data
Since Windows operating systems cannot recognize RAW drives, users are not allowed to access or modify the data saved on RAW partitions.
If you want to fix RAW drive without losing data, you can refer to the following solution to recover data from RAW drives first, then you’re ready to fix RAW partitions. Because fixing RAW drives first may cause more data loss and decrease the RAW data recovery rate.
Recover data from RAW drives via data recovery software
When it comes to salvaging data from RAW drives, there’ll be no better way than using a professional Windows data recovery tool like MyRecover.
- Please avoid writing new files to your RAW disk for a higher RAW data recovery rate.
- After recovery, please remember to save these retrieved files in a new saved path.
- To recover a large number of deleted or missing files from your hard drives with no effort, consider upgrading MyRecover to the Professional or Technician edition.
Powerful features & friendly design of MyRecover:
- Powerful features: Recover deleted & lost Word, Excel, PPT, folders, compressed files, photos, songs, videos, audio, websites, and other 200+ file types from HDD, SSD, USB, etc.
- Easy-to-find: During Quick Scan and Deep Scan, you can quickly locate your desired files by Filename, Path, Date, Size, etc.
- Convenient: Retain the original Path, Filename, and Format for the deleted files.
- Excellent compatibility: Support NTFS, FAT32, exFAT, and ReFS file systems and be compatible with Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, or Windows Server computers.
Step 1. After launching MyRecover on your Windows, select your RAW drive and click the “Start Scan” button.
Step 2. It will automatically scan your external hard drive and display all the found files. You can filter specific file type and preview or recover files during this process without waiting for final result.
Step 3. Go to the Other Missing Files folder and select the files you want. Then click “Recover x files” to begin Windows data recovery.
Phase 2. How to fix RAW partition without losing data
If you’ve recovered/extracted data from your RAW drive, let’s perform how to fix RAW drive without losing data via the following methods.
Solution 1. Run CHKDSK to fix bad sectors on your RAW drives
As mentioned above, corrupted file systems or bad sectors is among the possible factors for RAW drives. In this case, you can run the CHKDSK command to fix errors on your RAW partitions.
Step 1. Enter “cmd” in the search bar and click “Run as administrator” to open the command prompt window.
Step 2. Type “chkdsk F:/f” in the window. You can replace F with your hard drive letter. Then wait to see this notice: Windows has made corrections to the file system.
Solution 2. Convert raw to ntfs without losing data via Disk Management
Several users are wondering how to convert RAW to NTFS without losing data. At this point, you can use Disk Management because this is a powerful Windows system utility that can perform advanced storage tasks.
Please note that you need to format this RAW drive first. After that, this hard drive is ready for future use and make modifications like changing a new file system.
In addition, you can use recover hidden partitions in Windows 7, 8, 10, or 11 PCs via this utility.
Step 1. Press “Win + X” and select “Disk Management” to open it.
Step 2. Right-click on your RAW drive and select the “Format” option.
Step 3. Select the NTFS file system that works with your current Windows OS. Then click “OK” to save these changes.
Solution 3. Convert raw to ntfs without losing data via AOMEI Partition Assistant
Those users who’re not familiar with Disk Management can use another easier software, AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. This free partition manage utility can format your RAW drives and set up a new file system with ease.
- ★Other highlights of AOMEI Partition Assistant:
- Recover deleted & missing NTFS, FAT, EX2, EX3, or Ex4 partitions.
- Deal with improper partition size, partition creation, partition resize, etc.
- Perform disk conversion between MBR and GPT, OS migration, etc.
- Support Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, and XP (32/64-bit) computers.
Step 1. After running this free demo on your Windows PC, right-click on your selected RAW disk and select the “Format Partition” option.
Step 2. Select the NTFS file system and click the “OK” button.
Please click “Apply” to save these changes and wait patiently.
Related Q&A about RAW data recovery & external hard drive data recovery
After reading this passage, you may get feasible ways to fix RAW drive without losing data. There are also relevant tips about RAW data recovery and external hard drives.