[Solved] Desktop Files Deleted after Restart
Desktop files deleted after restart? Reasons behind this issue and how to restore Desktop files have been introduced in this post to help you.
“Why does my computer delete files when I restart it?”
When meeting issues or errors like computer lagging, frozen programs, etc., restarting the PC is an optional remedy, and it works most of the time. Now many people know it can help and will choose the restart to help fix some slight errors.
However, restarting doesn’t always be a cure-all panacea and foolproof. It also brings problems. Some users are complaining and reporting that their Desktop files missing after restart Windows 10.
Windows 10 Automatically Deletes files at Restart
After a few days of having files on my desktop windows 10 1909. I noticed yesterday some files missing so I put them back then. Can someone from Microsoft Help?
- Question from Microsoft
If files keep disappearing from the Desktop all the time, it undoubtedly will be deadly depressing.
In general, the possible reasons behind this issue might be:
- Virus threats. The viruses-infected device might meet this issue because viruses will delete, move, modify, and even encrypt your files.
- Windows update. After a Windows update, especially a Windows 10 update or upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, issues like system crashes, software crashes, and incompatibility occur.
- Dying hard drive. If the hard drive is failing, issues like system crashes, automatic restart, black screen, and data loss might happen frequently.
Rest assured, this article aims at introducing methods of how to restore Desktop files deleted after restart, and also how to prevent this from happening again.
How to recover Desktop files deleted after restart?
In the first place, recovering the deleted files is the priority. In case the recovered data gets deleted once again, please keep the computer on and do not restart it in a hurry.
1. Recover Desktop files disappeared after restart using File History
Once enabled, File History automatically stores the file copies of the C: drive, including Desktop files, Downloads, Favorites, etc. It is very suitable for users to restore deleted files from the Desktop.
Step 1. Go to Control Panel > System and Security > File History.
Step 2. Click Restore personal files.
Step 3. Navigate to the Desktop folder > select the Desktop files disappeared after restart > click the Recover button to get them back.
This useful backup tool could also help recover a deleted folder from Desktop.
2. Restore deleted files with ease using a professional data recovery tool
Don’t have any backups available? If you have never activated the File History, how to restore Desktop files after being deleted by restarting?
Using a reliable Windows data recovery tool is the best answer. With the help of a professional tool, you could selectively restore what you want; in addition, fast scanning saves your time.
Take a look at MyRecover, developed by the leading enterprise in the data security industry and designed for Windows users, it facilitates users to restore deleted and missing files from HDD/SSD/USB/SD card, etc.
- Easy to use, performing data recovery in 3 steps.
- 200+ types of recoverable data, including photos, videos, documents, zip files, etc.
- Restore deleted data with its filename, format, and path kept originally.
- Time-saving, supporting data recovery while scanning.
- Compatible with Windows 11/10/8/7 SP 1, and Server.
Now check the detailed steps to get back desktop files disappeared from Desktop.
Step 1. Install and run the software > select the C: drive > Start Scan.
Step 2. If you can still recall the extension or filename, use the search box to locate them. Also, filters are available to help you target files faster.
Step 3. Go to Deleted files > refer to the Desktop folder under the Users folder >select the deleted files to restore > Recover x files.
Not only a healthy drive, but it can also apply to a formatted drive. Learn how to recover accidentally formatted hard drive in the tutorial using it.
How to fix Desktop files deleted after restart?
Desktop file recovery is not the last task you need to complete. If the issue is not fixed, the recovered files will disappear again.
Therefore, except for solving the problem of how to restore Desktop files, we still have to figure out how to prevent files from being deleted again.
1. Use antivirus software & uninstall suspicious apps
The most possible cause for Desktop files missing after restart Windows 10 issue is viruses.
Once infected, it might damage your MBR (boot virus), and deliberately delete, modify, hide, and encrypt your files, leading to this issue.
- To prevent this from happening again, use antivirus software to scan and fix the computer right now.
- What’s more, delete the recently downloaded software or apps that are suspicious.
- Lastly, do not visit fishy sites. Protect your PC from viruses.
2. Create a new user profile
If you restarted computer and found everything is gone, one possible reason is that you have logged into another user account. Just switch to your account to fix it.
But if Desktop files disappeared after restart and it happens all the time, maybe your user profile was corrupted already.
You could create a new one. Click the Start Menu > Settings > Accounts > Family & other users > Add someone else to this PC > create a new account.
After this, it is suggested to back up or copy your files in the old profile, and then load the backup onto the new one.
Using professional data backup software for Windows is recommended.
The issue of Desktop files deleted after restart can be properly settled with the help of this tutorial. Except for teaching you how to restore Desktop files, some extra info is listed here as well.