Bought yourself a brand new iPad Pro? Congratulations! The newly released 12.9-inch iPad Pro (5th generation) and 11-inch iPad Pro (3rd generation) bring many more features and it’s worth upgrading. The M1 chip gives the new iPad Pro mind-blowing performance and makes it the fastest device of its kind.
Now it’s time to transfer data from old iPad Pro/Air/mini to new iPad Pro so that you can enjoy the new iPad the way you like. According to different situations, there are corresponding methods. Choose the one that suits you and start the transfer!
Way 1. Transfer Data from iPad to iPad Pro During Setup
If you haven't activated your iPad Pro, you can choose to transfer all old iPad data to it during the setup process. When you access the App & Data screen, you can choose to restore from iCloud/iTunes backup, or transfer all content directly from old iPad.
We have written an article on how to use Quick Start in this How to Set up New iPhone from Old iPhone guide. (The operation method of iPhone and iPad is the same.)
If you have already set up your iPad Pro, you can go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings to erase your device to start over. But please note that it will erase all existing content on your device.
Way 2. Transfer Data from iPad to iPad Pro via Transfer Tool
If you are in the following situations, then AOMEI MBackupper, one third-party transfer tool is the best choice to transfer data from old iPad Pro/Air/mini to new iPad Pro:
Have already set up iPad Pro and want to add files to it
Want to transfer all data from iPad to iPad Pro
Want to transfer a certain type of data, a specific item to iPad Pro
AOMEI MBackupper is able to transfer songs, photos, videos, contacts, and messages from iPad to iPad Pro. It let you transfer selected files and will do no harm to the existing data.
iPad to iPad Pro Transfer with AOMEI MBackupper
1. Download and install AOMEI MBackupper.
2. Launch AOMEI MBackupper > Connect your old iPad to computer via USB cable > Enter the passcode iPad so the software can access your device.
3. Click Custom Backup you can select the data you want to transfer.
4. Click the icon to choose the items you want to backup, here we click Music for example. Select the songs you need and click OK to confirm.
5. Choose a storage path > Click Start Backup to start backing up your data.
6. Unplug the source iPad and connect the new iPad Pro to computer > Go to the Backup Management screen > Click the Restore option > Confirm the data that will be transferred to new iPad Pro > Finally click Start Restore. (Don’t worry, it will not erase any data on your device.)
Note: If you want to give your old iPad to someone, you can wipe your iPad clean through the Erase iPad tool. It will wipe data multiple times ensuring 100% unrecoverable.
Way 3. Transfer Data from iPad to iPad Pro with iCloud
If two iPads are using the same Apple ID, then you can choose to sync data from iPad to iPad Pro with iCloud. No need to download any app, only need Wi-Fi connection.
To transfer all content and settings, you can first backup source iPad and then restore that backup to target iPad Pro. To sync a certain type of data, you can turn on the sync option in iCloud.
Please note that there is only 5 GB free storage space. If the data you need to back up/sync exceeds 5GB, the backup/sync will fail.
→ Restore Data from iPad to iPad Pro
● Backup old iPad: Go to Settings > Tap your name > iCloud > iCloud Backup > Tap Back Up Now to create a backup package.
● Restore backup to new iPad: Erase and set up the device until you see the App & Data screen > Choose Restore from iCloud Backup.
→ Sync Data from iPad to iPad Pro
● On source iPad: Go to Settings > Tap your name > Tap iCloud > Turn on Photos or other options you want to sync.
● On target iPad Pro: Do the same above to turn on the option and wait for the sync.
Way 4. Transfer Data from iPad to iPad Pro Using iTunes
If you want to transfer all data from iPad to new iPad Pro, iTunes can do you a favor. But you cannot choose the data you want to transfer. Besides, because the backup file is relatively large, the backup and recovery process will take a long time.
● Backup old iPad: Run iTunes > Plug in old iPad > Click the Device tab > Go to Summary > Select This Computer > Click Back Up Now.
● Restore backup to new iPad: Plug in new iPad > Go to Go to Summary page > Click Restore Backup > Select the backup you created before.
That’s all for how to transfer data from iPad to iPad Pro. You can complete the transfer during the setup process or let AOMEI MBackupper help you transfer needed files after setup.
If you have any questions about transferring old iPad to new iPad, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section and we will reply to you soon.