The new iOS 14 comes out with various new features, like new App Library, Picture-in-Picture, no full screen calls, etc. All these new features make the iPhone full of technology. However, it also brings annoying errors that prevent you from using your phone normally. Can’t stand iOS 14 anymore? Learn how to downgrade from iOS 14 to iOS 13 from this guide.
Can You Downgrade iOS 14 to iOS 13?
To downgrade iPhone to a previous iOS, the iOS firmware is needed. Users can go to Apple’s IPSW Downloads website to find and download all signed IPSW files. That’s to say, if you want to downgrade iOS 14 to iOS 13, you should download the correct iOS 13 IPSW file. And now iOS 13.5.1 and iOS 13.6 are available.
However, the fact is that Apple does not want people downgrade their iPhones optionally, so it will stop signing the older version software soon when a new version is officially released. In other words, Apple will stop signing iOS 13 at any time when iOS 14 comes out. Based on past trends, Apple may stop signing iOS 13 one day in October.
All in all, it’s possible to downgrade iOS 14 to iOS 13 but the option won't be available indefinitely. You can only make it when the previous version is still signing.
Can You Downgrade iOS 14 to iOS 13 without Computer?
If you do not have a computer or laptop, you may wonder whether you can complete the downgrading on iPhone directly. However, please be aware that it is impossible. You cannot downgrade iOS 14 to iOS 13 without computer. To downgrade from a higher version, you will need a computer to perform the operation. Do not trust anyone or any product that says that it can help you downgrade from iOS 14 without computer. It can do harm to your iPhone.
Preparation: Backup Your iPhone before Downgrading to iOS 13
Just one more step before we start to see how to downgrade iOS 14 to iOS 13. Don’t forget to backup your device. The downgrading will erase your iPhone, all stored contacts, messages, photos, and everything else will be deleted.
However, due to Apple's security settings, a backup made on a higher iOS version is not supported to be restored to the device that running a lower iOS version. That’s to say, although you can backup your iPhone that running on iOS 14 with iTunes/iCloud, the backup cannot be restored to iOS 13 devices.
If you have backed up your device before upgrading to iOS 14, then you can easily perform a restore to get data back. Or if you do not have a previous backup, let another iOS backup tool to help you protect your data.
Backup Your Device with FoneTool
FoneTool is one free iOS backup tool. Compared to iTunes or iCloud, it offers an easier iPhone/iPad backup & restore solution.
◆ Preview and select the data you want to backup; Check the backup files anytime you want; Selectively restore data to device instead all of them.
◆ What’s more, the backup files can be restored to any device that running with different iOS. You can still access newly taken photos after downgrading to iOS 13.
If you want to downgrade from iOS 14 to iOS 13 without losing data, just backup your iPhone with FoneTool:
1. Download, install, and launch FoneTool > Plug in your iPhone.
2. Click Phone Backup > Choose Selective Backup option > Choose the type of data you want to backup.
3. You can click each icon to select the items you want to backup.
4. Select a storage space > Click Start Backup.
How to Downgrade from iOS 14 to iOS 13/iPadOS 14 to iPadOS 13?
The following are the steps to downgrade iOS 14 to iOS 13, please make sure you have installed the latest version of iTunes on computer. And also turn off the “Find My iPhone” option: go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > tap Find My iPhone and disable it.
1. Download the iOS 13 firmware file from Apple IPSW Downloads: Go to https://ipsw.me/ > Choose your iPhone type and the IPSW you need > Click Download.
2. Run iTunes and connect your iPhone to computer via the USB cable.
3. Click the Device icon and go to Summary page.
4. Click the Restore iPhone/iPad... while holding the Shift key on Windows or Option key on Mac to locate the IPSW file you have downloaded before.
5. Choose the IPSW file and click Open.
6. A pop-up window will appear and tell you that iTunes will restore your device to iOS 13, click Restore to confirm.
That’s it! When the process is done, you will be welcomed by the Hello screen. Just set up your iPhone like before.
If you have a previous backup, you can choose to restore from iCloud or iTunes backup. Or restore needed files with FoneTool when the setup process is complete.
That’s all for how to downgrade from iOS 14 to iOS 13 without losing data. Downgrading to iOS 13 is possible but you should move fast - before Apple stops signing iOS 13 IPSW file.
If you have any questions or need any help, please leave a comment and we will reply to you as soon as possible.
FoneTool Runs Perfectly on
- iOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPadOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPhone 14/14 Pro (Max), 13/13 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 12/12 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max)
- iPhone X/XR/XS/XS Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6s/6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st, 2nd, 3rd generations)
- iPod touch 1/2/3/4/5/6/7
- All models of iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad Pro and iPad