“How can I recover data from Seagate external hard drive”
Seagate is a well-known storage device manufacturer noted for its hard drive and SSDs. Seagate has surely become a household name among external hard drives due to its speed, convenience, and capacity. However, data loss is an unavoidable part of using any storage device.
The reasons for Seagate external hard drive data loss
Data loss from a Seagate external hard drive or any other storage device can occur for a variety of reasons. Customers frequently lose vital data from their Seagate external hard drive as a result of unforeseen events. They are primarily categorized into three categories:
- Logical failures. It refers to both file and drive errors. The data of the Seagate external hard drive would be lost by accidental deletion, virus attack, formatting, bad sectors on the hard drive, and power failure when transferring data.
- Physical damage. The external hard drive would be corrupted due to some physical causes, such as dropping, overheating, water damage, and improper handling. Usually, it needs a data recovery service to recover data from this kind of Seagate external hard drive for professional help.
- Mechanical errors. The external hard drive would have a mechanical error when you start hearing some weird noises from your external hard drive, such as clicking, grinding, or screeching. Before mechanical failures stop you from getting access to the files, backing up the vital data to another secure place.
Three steps to perform Seagate external hard disk data recovery
For logical problems, it is the best way to use reliable data recovery software to recover data from the external hard drive before the data are overwritten. There are too many data recovery tools in the market, but how to choose the best one. Considering success rate, scanning speed, and compatibility, it's recommended to use AOMEI Data Recovery for Windows.
AOMEI Data Recovery for Windows is a professional and reliable data recovery program for Windows computers. Developed by more than ten years of the R&D team, it shows a super high standard in data recovery. Even for those who are not tech geeks, it's easy to operate. The only thing you need to do is to download the software and select a location to start data recovery.
- ★Highlights of AOMEI Data Recovery for Windows
- It can recover more than 200 types of deleted files.
- Scan the hard disk at a lightning speed.
- Recover data with a high success rate.
- Support NTFS, FAT32, exFAT, ReFS in Windows 11/10/8/7 & Windows Server.
Step 1. Download AOMEI Data Recovery for Windows and launch the program. Select the Seagate external hard drive and click "Start Scan".
Step 2. The scanning process will automatically perform a quick scan and deep scan. Once you find the data you want during scanning, you could recover it as you need immediately.
Step 3. After you select the deleted files from the Seagate external hard drive, you could click the button "Recover files" to set a destination folder to save the recovered data.
Recover data from Seagate external hard disk via Windows File Recovery
Windows File Recovery app is an official data recovery for Windows, released by Microsoft in 2020. Except for Seagate external hard drives, it can recover data from memory cards, hard drives, USB drives.
Currently, it only supports Windows 10 and above. As a command-line app, it requires users to have knowledge of basic computer literacy. To make it easy to use for everyone, AOMEI released WinfrGUI-Windows File Recovery with a graphical user interface in 2021.
With clickable icons, users could recover deleted/lost files from Seagate external hard disk easily, getting rid of complex commands. It’s 100% free to use! Download and install WinfrGUI in the following and view the detailed steps to help you perform Seagate external hard disk data recovery.
Step 1. Launch WinfiGUI on your computer. Select the Seagate external hard disk first. And then choose a destination path to save the recovered files. You could move the mouse pointer to the exclamation icon of Seagate external hard disk to view the File System.
Step 2. According to your file system of Seagate external hard disk, choose the scanning methods. Click “Advanced Settings” if you want to target file types or folders to scan.
Step 3. Click the “Start Recovery” button. Quick Scan will save more time than Deep Scan. Wait for the scanning process to complete, you could view the recovered files in the destination folder.
How to prevent data loss for an external hard disk?
Though data recovery software could help you to recover the data from Seagate external hard disk, it's most important to prevent data loss for the external hard disks in the future. The data recovery tool couldn't guarantee a 100% recovery success rate. Pay attention to the following useful tips for prevention.
- Partition the external hard drive to store data in different parts. You could use the freeware-AOMEI Partition Assistant to manage the partitions easily. It may reduce the risk of data loss in the entire external hard disk.
- Double-check the files before deleting and formatting. It’s better to double-check the data stored in the external hard disk before deleting or formatting or transfer the data to another place first before operations.
- Back up data. It’s a piece of cake if you have a backup of important files when you lost them due to unknown reasons. You could back up the data to another storage device or using a professional backup tool-AOMEI Backupper to back up the data according to your needs.
- Use anti-virus software. Regularly detecting the external hard disk could stop the data loss in the external hard disk from viruses or malware attacking.
Further reading: How to solve the Seagate external hard disk not showing up or detecting on PC?
After you plug the external hard drive into the computer, you couldn’t find it in This PC/My Computer. The first thing is to check it in Disk Management (press Win+R and input “diskmgmt.msc”). The following methods may help you to solve the problem.
✿ Make sure it’s plugged in and powered on
This could be a quick and easy approach to see if your Seagate Hard Drive is connected. Simply connecting the external hard drive to your computer does not mean that the connection is established.
✿ Try another USB port or computer
If your external hard drive isn't being detected even though it's attached to your computer through USB, try connecting it to your computer with other USB devices.
✿ Update the driver
The most prevalent cause of an unrecognized hard drive is driver issues. Go to the start menu and search for "device management" in the search box. Expand the disk drive and "Universal Serial Bus" in the device manager, and see if your hard drive is listed there. If the device displays an error, right-click on the driver and select "properties" to remove or update it.
✿ Enable & Format the Drive in Disk Management
If your external hard drive shows in Disk Management, you could check whether it is online or formatted. To enable the drive if it is offline, right-click on it and select "Online". When you right-click on the disk and select "New Simple Volume," the drive will be formatted. If you choose format, you should make a backup of your data because it will be erased.
It's not the end of the world if your external storage device crashes or stops storing your files. You could rely on professional data recovery software to get files back. If your partitions on an external hard disk are lost, you could perform external hard drive partition recovery easily with AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional.
Of course, the most important is that you should back up your Seagate external hard drive regularly, regardless of how good it is, because the data on the external hard disk is crucial to you. To safeguard the data on your Seagate external hard drive, you could try the rapid backup program AOMEI Backupper.