[5 Solutions] How to Recover Deleted Data in Windows 10
This post provides 5 different but all useful ways to recover deleted data in Windows 10. You could find detailed steps and an easy recovery tool here.
How can I recover my deleted data?
I thought I had backed up the AppData folder when I had deleted my User Account (cause it was a duplicate - long story as to why I was looking to get rid of it). Is there a way I can recover that User Folder? I tried a recovery tool and nothing showed up. Windows deleted the folder themselves so I can see it being harder to recover than maybe a regular delete. Thanks in advance!
Have you, like the user in the above case, accidentally deleted your important data and want to know how to recover them? For the purpose of saving storage space, you may regularly clean up and delete data from your computer. But in the process, you may accidentally delete some important data. Or your computer may be attacked by viruses, malware and this can also lead to the loss of your data.
If you are in the habit of backing up regularly, then this will not be a difficult task. If you don't back up your data, it doesn't matter. Please stop using your system or hard drive to reduce the risk of your data being overwritten and we offer effective ways to recover deleted data in Windows 10.
5 ways to recover deleted data in Windows 10
There are many solutions to recover deleted files in Windows 10 and we list 5 effective and free methods here. At least one of these ways can help you get your deleted data backup.
Way 1. Recover deleted data from Recycle Bin in Windows 10
Once your data is deleted, it will be put into Recycle Bin first. So if you ask how to recover deleted files in Windows 10 for free, you need to check if they were in the Recycle Bin with the easy steps as follows:
1. Go to the Recycle Bin on your desktop.
2. Find the data you deleted here. You can choose View > Details to locate your data with ease.
3. Right-click on the deleted data, then choose the Restore option on the pop-up menu.
After the above, your deleted data will be restored to the original location or other locations where you want to store it.
Way 2. Recover hidden data via command prompt in Windows 10
It is possible that your data has not been deleted, but that you have just lost access to it. For this case, Windows provides a built-in command-line tool - Command Prompt that can help you restore your access to your data. Although recovering data with Command Prompt is not an easy way, they have the potential to help you access your data. Just follow the guideline to recover deleted data via Command Prompt:
1. Open the Windows search box and search for Command Prompt. Find it and choose Run as administrator.
2. Input the command attrib -h -r -s /s /d G:\*.* to make hidden, file protection, and file system normal. Remember to replace # with the letter of your storage device.
This method only works for hidden files, instead of deleted files. If you want to recover permanently deleted files in Windows 10, please continue learning the following solutions.
Way 3. Recover deleted data via Microsoft’s official tool in Windows 10
If neither of these methods can help you recover deleted data, you can consider trying Windows File Recovery, a command-line tool provided by Microsoft that supports recovery of all types of data on memory cards, hard drives, SSD, including photos, videos, documents, etc. It requires your computer's operating system to be Windows 10 build 19041 or higher.
However, it is a command-line tool without a graphical user interface, which means that it is not an easy method for the average user.
If you are good at using command-line tools, please follow the steps below to recover deleted data using Windows File Recovery:
First, let’s know something about the basics of using it. The general command line syntax to recover files is: winfr source-drive: destination-drive: [/mode] [/switches].
And you need to go to This PC > right-click on your storage device > click Properties, and check the File System. Then choose the right mode according to the file system.
1. Open the Microsoft Store to Get Windows File Recovery and install it on your PC.
2. Go to the Windows search box and find Windows File Recovery. Select Run as administrator.
3. Enter a command line like winfr D: E: /extensive /n *paper*. And click Y to continue.
Way 4. Recover deleted data from Backup and Restore in Windows 10
Windows also provides a tool called Backup and Restore. If you have used it to back up your data, then restoring deleted data will be easy. Here is a guideline to recover deleted data from a backup in Backup and Restore.
1. Go to Control Panel > Click Backup and Restore (Windows 7) in the System and Security section.
2. Click the Restore my files button and follow the wizard to recover deleted data.
3. You can select Choose a different data to choose a backup and then recover deleted data from it.
4. Choose a location to store your recovered data. Then press Restore.
⇒ Tip: You can click on the Set up backup button in Backup and Restore to create backups of your data. Or, you can consider using a free backup tool like AOMEI Backupper, which provides powerful backup features in all Windows operating systems.
Way 5. Recover deleted data via a professional data recovery tool in Windows 10
If you did not make backups of your data and it is deleted exactly, here comes a free data recovery software for Windows 10/11/8/7/Server - MyRecover. It is easy to use and supports hundreds of data formats recovery. Besides, it has many highlights like:
- Support recovery from different situations like permanently deleted files recovery, formatted files recovery, etc.
- Recover deleted or lost files from HDDs, SSDs, SD cards, USB drives, external hard drives, and so on.
- Support 200+ types of data recovery, including photos, videos, audios, emails, compressed files, Word, Excel, PPT, etc.
- Provide a clear and simple user interface and easy-to-use steps.
Now, please click on the Download Software button and follow the easy tutorial to recover deleted data with MyRecover:
1. Click on the partition or disk where your data are lost. And click Start Scan to scan it.
2. Then you can see your deleted files and other missing files after Quick Scan/Deep Scan automatically. You can input the filename in the search box or use the Filter feature to find your files quickly.
3. Check the scanning result. Then select a new location to store your recovered data. After that, click on the Recover X files button to recover deleted data.
Written in the end
With the 5 solutions to recover deleted data in Windows 10, you can get your deleted data back easily. If you do not learn some professional computer knowledge, MyRecover is your best choice. Go to begin the data recovery with it as soon as possible because it is a time-consuming task.