Need to recover files on SanDisk SD card
"Help! All photos on my SanDisk Extreme SD card that were taken on last trip are gone. It seems like I selected the wrong option Format… accidentally. I did not have time to back up photos on the card or place them on a safe place. I cannot find the files in Recycle bin. Is there simple way to do SanDisk SD card format recovery? Thanks in advance."
SanDisk SD card, one of largest memory card manufactures around the world, provides excellent service in SD card’s Security, Compatibility, Storage temperature and Dimension and so on. That makes it popular in storing files in camera, Android phone, tablet, music player, etc.
Powerful as it is, files on SanDisk are also vulnerable to human errors like deleting or formatting files unexpectedly, improper connecting or rejecting, corrupted file systems, bad sectors, etc. To get those precious data back, you need to recover files on the memory card. But how should you do SanDisk SD card recovery?
Important: before learning how to recover data from SanDisk SD card, be sure you will not write new data to that drive. Otherwise, the original data may be written and cannot be recovered.
Easy-to-use SanDisk SD card recovery software
When it comes to data recovery software, you cannot miss the powerful SanDisk SD card recovery tool, Recoverit Pro. It is safe and reliable data recovery software that works on Windows all PCs. In detail, it supports recover file types including photos, videos, documents, etc. Go for it and let SanDisk SD card recover deleted files right now.
Note: this method works when your SanDisk SD card is functional. Take SanDisk 16GB SD card recovery for example.
1. Insert the SanDisk SD card to a Windows-based computer. You may need a SD card reader. Make sure it is detected.
2. Install and launch Recoverit Pro. Select External Devices Recovery.
3. Select the SanDisk memory card that you want to recover files from. Click Start to start the scanning process.
4. By default, it will perform a quick scan. Preview all the lost files, select them all and then click Recover to start the recovery process.
If the quick scan cannot find all your need files, please do a deep scan by selecting “All-around Recovery” in the second step.
Do not save files to the SanDisk SD card for temporarily since it needs reformatting before a second use.
Above steps apply to other memory card data recovery as well, for example, Lexar SD card recovery.
How about SanDisk corrupted SD card recovery?
If the SanDisk SD card is corrupted badly, you are facing two choices. One is to send it to a data recovery company, as it is suggested on the official website, to recover crucial lost files. The other is to perform a SanDisk SD card repair, when there are not important files to recover. The remedy is mostly for the SanDisk memory card itself.
Note: these methods work when the SanDisk SD card can be recognized by Windows.
Check SD card for errors with CHKDSK
1. Click Start and type command prompt, right click it from the list and select Run as administrator to open an elevated prompt.
2. Type chkdsk F: /f/x/r and press Enter. Replace F: drive with the correct drive letter on your SanDisk SD card.
The command will dismount the card before scan, fix any errors it finds, and recover readable information from bad sectors if possible.
Format SanDisk SD card for a second use
After recovering files from the SD card, you can completely format the card to repair some problems like corrupted files systems.
1. Open an elevated command prompt.
2. Type format F: /fs:fat32 or format F: /fs:ntfs and press Enter. Replace the F: drive with the correct drive letter.
This command will format the SanDisk SD card with FAT32 or NTFS file system. To store a single file greater than 4GB, you need to format the drive to NTFS format.
A simple way to avoid data loss on SanDisk SD card
As mentioned before, files on SanDisk memory card are easy to loss due to various foreseeable or unforeseen factors. Therefore, it is strongly suggested to backup SanDisk SD card on a regular basis.
AOMEI Backupper Standard, free backup and restore software, earns good reputation among thousands of users over the world. It allows you to do SanDisk SD card backup as schedule tasks. Daily, weekly, monthly, event-trigger, and USB plug in features are supported.
It provides incremental and differential backup to save disk space on destination path. File Sync is also supported in this software. You can back up or sync files to internal hard disk, external storage, NAS, network share, or Clouds. Free download (Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista supported) the backup & sync tool and have a try.
To backup files on SanDisk SD card:
1. Connect the SD card to your computer and make sure it can be detected. Install and run AOMEI Backupper.
2. Click Backup and then File Backup.
3. Edit the task name if necessary. Click Add File or Add Folder and then Browse to add files on the SanDisk SD card.
4. Click the pane next to “Step2” to select the destination path where you’ll store the backup images.
5. Click Schedule to select backup types and Backup Options to comment the backup. Finally, click Start Backup to execute the task.
You can perform Disk Backup as well to back up the entire SD card.
Upgrade to the Professional edition and you can use the Scheme feature to auto delete old backups on the destination.
Files could be lost in many situations, and Recoverit Pro can help you do SanDisk SD card recovery in simply three steps. After recovering, you may need to format the SD card and prepare another use. Besides, to avoid data loss in the long term, free AOMEI Backupper Standard is recommended.
No matter the files on SanDisk SD card or systems on computer, it is important to back them up. Foster a good habit of backup is good for your valuable data. However, if it is hard for you to foster, AOMEI Backupper helps you do set-and-forget backup tasks.