Sometimes, backup PC to an external hard drive may help you get out of troubles like system crashes,
hard drive failure, data loss, and many other unexpected situations. Once you have a backup of your
PC, you can restore computer to earlier date after those bad things happens. You would never get a
big influence from the disaster. speaking of backup PC in Windows 8, here we provides you two
methods in the following content.
Backup PC with Windows 8 File History
Windows 8 has built in the tool File History, that can help you solve the backup problems. You can use the Windows 8 File History to backup files on your libraries. And it is simple to use. It allows you to backup PC to external hard drive. Here you can see the steps in the next content:
Before launching File History, you need to plug in the external hard drive you want to store the backup image on. The external hard drive could be a CD/DVD, HDD/SSD, or a portable hard drive. Connect the drive with your Windows 8 PC, make sure that your computer recognizes the drive, then, keep the drive plugged into your computer. Then, you need to flip the On switch, because the File History would not run until you tell it to run begin. In here, you can start to backup PC to external hard drive in Windows 8. Open File History by opening Control Panel > System and Security > File History.
Although File History does a remarkable job at backup data in your libraries, it comes with a few bits of fine prints:
- If you are trying to backup to networked drive on another PC, you will be asked for Entering a username and password from an Administrator accout on the other PC.
- File History backs up everything on your computer hard drive. If you need to add new folders or exclude some data, you can choose Exclude Folders link from the Windows’ left edge.
- If you want to change the Schedule backup, you can click Advanced Settings link from the Windows’ left edge, and then, choose how often you would like to backup Windows 8 PC to external hard drive.
- You’d better set up all backups before turn on File History. Because when you turn on File History, Windows 8 will start its backup immediately no matter it is scheduled or not.
- Windows 8 will save your backup in a folder named FileHistoryon your chosen drive. Don’t move the folder, otherwise, when you need to restore it, your Windows 8 may not be able to find it.
Windows 8 File History alternative: AOMEI Backupper
You may think that there are so many limitations of Windows 8 File History to backup PC to external hard drive Windows 8. So here we highly recommend you the best alternative to Windows 8 File History, the AOMEI Backupper Standard, a free backup and restore software that can help you backup PC to external hard drive in Windows 8 without the limitations of File History.
Before you do, here you should prepare an external hard drive, like a CD/DVD, HDD/SSD, or other portable hard drive or flash drive, AOMEI Backupper can also support you backup PC to networked drive.
Step1.Connect your external hard drive with your Windows 8 PC. Download AOMEI Backupper free, install it on your PC, and launch it. It will display you its concise interface. To backup PC to external hard drive, here you should choose Disk Backup under the Backup tab.
Step2.Choose the internal hard drive on your Windows PC as the source disk in the “Step 1”. And choose the external hard drive you plugged in as the destination disk in the “Step2”. After choosing the two parties, click Start Backup to execute the task.
After the progress reaches 100%, click Finish to exit.
AOMEI Backupper also allows you to automatic backup PC to external hard drive. You can set up at Schedule. It allows you backup PC to external hard drive for daily, weekly, monthly, Event triggers (only supported by AOMEI Backupper Professional and superior version), and you can choose to make a full backup, incremental backup or differential backup.
Compared with Windows 8 File History, using AOMEI Backupper could be a better way to backup PC to External hard drive in Windows 8. If you do not need to backup the entire hard drive, you can only backup system, or backup a single partition, even only backup the important files. It also suitable for Windows 10, Windows 7. The AOMEI Backupper is satisfying you the basic functions, if you need more advanced functions, you can upgrade to Professional edition to get more.